26 July 2009

Hello, Goodbye!



Here is my first ever blog post, I hope you all enjoy reading it.

I would like to welcome you with one of (there are like 50) my favourite Beatles songs; Hello, Goodbye. This song was written by Paul McCartney (credited to Lennon/McCartney) in 1967. Alistair Taylor, Brian Epstein's assistant and a friend of Paul visited him and asked how he writes so many songs. McCartney asked Taylor to say the opposite of whatever he says. That's how this song was written. Paul is a strange man, he even wrote songs on the phone (I'll tell you the story of "Getting Better" in later posts). The songs working title was "Hello Hello", then changed. It was not released on an LP (later released on "Magical Mystery Tour") but only as a single. It stayed at the top of the charts for about seven weeks. Lennon hated this song because his classic "I Am the Walrus" was the B-Side. Paul and George Martin believed "Hello, Goodbye" was a more commercial tune. In the video, The Beatles appear in their famous Sgt. Pepper outfit, Paul and John are without their mustaches. Paul's Rickenbacker 4001 makes one of it's rare appearances.

Welcome to my blog, and bye for now.

"I don't know why you say goodbye, I say hello!"
Paul McCartney


No comments:

Post a Comment